The Spencerport Depot & Canal Museum opened its doors in 2007 to serve Erie Canal travelers and the local community as a museum, visitor center, and lending library.
The museum houses collections related to the Erie Canal, transportation, communication, and local history on its main level. Downstairs, there are restroom facilities for boaters traveling the Erie Canal.
The museum operates with the canal season and is run primarily through the efforts of volunteers.
History of the Building
The Depot served as the only stop in Spencerport on the Rochester Lockport and Buffalo interurban trolley line from 1908 to 1931. The building fell into disrepair after the discontinuation of trolley service and it was moved and turned into a private home.
In 2002, Maxine Davison bought and donated the building to the Village of Spencerport with the stipulation that the building "be used for the good of the community".
On May 23, 2005, with the help of many volunteers, the building was moved to its current location on the bank of the Erie Canal.
The mission of the Spencerport Depot & Canal Museum is to establish and maintain a history museum, historical research and reference center, and visitor center relating to the history of the Erie Canal, Ogden Telephone Company, Village of Spencerport, and Town of Ogden.
Sponsorship and Affiliations
The Spencerport Depot & Canal Museum is proud to be a partner site of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor.
Learn more about our special connection to the canal and then explore the entire Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor. You’ll find exceptional scenery, history, and adventure along more than 500 miles of waterways and trails.
Erie Canalway Heritage Partners include selected canal-related museums and cultural heritage sites throughout the National Heritage Corridor. Each of these partners shares a different aspect of the canal's role in shaping New York and the nation. Some have important works of engineering, others have works of art or artifacts, and some highlight the value of the canal today.|
The Spencerport Depot & Canal Museum is a proud member of the Small Museum Association and Visit Rochester.
Museum Director: Simon Devenish
Assistant Director: Bob McDonald
Bookkeeper: Cindy Lott
President: Ted Rauber
Vice-President: Tim Baum
Treasurer: Scott Birnie
Secretary: Doreen Castano
Publicity: David Haines
Museum Support Committee Chair: Pam Quamo
We have over 60 volunteers who spend their time at the Depot helping with a variety of tasks including: manning the museum, cataloguing, cleaning, helping with displays and organizing events.
We wouldn't be the success we are without the continuous dedication from our volunteers past and present.